Church of St Andrew, Prestwold Hall, Prestwold (Grade II*)

Geo: 52.7875, -1.1447
Date ListedWed 1st June, 1966
CategoryStatutory Listed Building
AddressChurch of Saint Andrew Prestwold Hall Prestwold LE12 5SQ
GradeGrade II*
Grid ReferenceSK5778221444
Volume, Map, Item87, 1, 53
WardThe Wolds

Medieval parish church largely rebuilt 1890 by Sir A Blomfield. Mainly of random rubble with ashlar dressings but with some coursed rubble walling to S wall of chancel. Late C14 buttressed west tower with 4 principal stages, 2-light traceried openings to bell chamber, west door and 2-light traceried window above, with corbel heads to hoodmould, decorated frieze below embattled parapet. Nave of 4 bays, all of 1890, random rubble with sandstone dressings, curvilinear tracery to windows, that to SE having a stilted arch. Chancel retains much medieval masonry, showing 2 builds in S wall, and a 2-light reticulated traceried window with shafts, and a blocked wide lancet window. 1 Victorian Y-tracery lancet, and S door and east wall and window of 1890.
Interior very plain and all of 1890 but there is a fine collection of memorials of the Packe family and their predecessors, in the Chancel, including two late C15 alabaster tomb chests with bedesmen and angels. One has an incised slab commemorating Sir Richard Nele and Isabel his wife, 1476, the other has 2 recumbent unknown female figures. Wall tomb to Sir William Skipwith and Jane his wife, 1631, a large recessed monument in various marbles, a double tomb within aedicule, the 2 recumbent figures lie on different levels, ornate, mannerist style. Monument to Christopher Packe of Cotes, d1682 the first Packe to acquire the hall, in 1653, a semi-reclining figure on a tomb chest with inscription, pediment etc. above, in Baroque style. Charles Hussey Packe, d1842 aged 15, a marble recumbent child figure by Westmacott jr., and various other memorials by noted C18 and C19 sculptors.
The Church is of interest for being almost the sole reminder of the medieval village of Prestwold, destroyed in the enclosure of the estate and it is noteworthy that a previous restoration of 1743 had provided the Church with a nave in the classical style, with round headed windows, oculi and a south door in architrave. Photographs of this building survive in the Church, showing also the high pews, gallery and double decker pulpit, but no traces of any of this survive in the fabric.

The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.

Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.