|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of St Bartholomew and Farnham Chapel Church Lane Quorn LE12 8DP|
|Volume, Map, Item||260, 3, 56|
|Ward||Barrow & Sileby West|
Church C12-C14 and 1842. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and buttresses and Welsh slate and lead type roofs with stone coped gables, cross finials and stone projecting stack and truncated ridge stack. W tower, nave, N aisle, Farnham Chapel (south aisle), chancel, N organ chamber and S porch and priest?s room. Tower of C14/C15 of two stages with plinth, diagonal stepped buttresses, C19 small W door, W window, S W Stair, four 2 light bell openings with hoodmoulds and label stops, moulding with gargoyles, and battlements. Nave arch with moulding and hollow chamfer above hollow chamfered polygonal responds. 4 bay N arcade c1280 with double chamfered arches above octagonal piers and responds. Across one bay a low stone screen with blank ogee headed and cusped arcading remaining from original N chapel. Similar 2 bay S arcade with low screen across both bays except for oak door. Wrought iron screen above. Perp clerestory with four 2 light flat topped windows either side. Four bay low pitch tie beam roof renewed C20 after fire. Large N aisle of 1842, with N porch and blocked door. Seven windows with reticulated tracery, the 7th being open to the later C19 N chancel organ chamber. The other six are filled with later C19 and early C20 stained glass, one by Percy Bacon, London, 1907. Four bay roof with curved braces and wall pieces from stone corbels. A small piscina with cusped arch by E arcade respond remains from former N chapel. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel had N window with C19 stained glass, perp E window with stained glass of 1862, and two S windows with C19 stained glass, one a low side window including in frame a squint from Farnham Chapel. Piscina with ogee headed arch and small S door. Of c1280, the Farnham Chapel and S porch and priests room are under one roof and have stepped buttresses and angle buttresses. E window with reticulated tracery and two S windows with Y tracery. C19 stained glass. Small S door to chapel. C19 boarded roof. Four incised slabs of earlier C16. Hanging monument to Thomas Farnham, died 1574, and family. Kneeling high relief figures under 2 bay classical arcade. Double monument to John Farnham, died 1587, and wife. Two recumbent effigies on ornamental tomb chest with , on E wall, a relief showing military encampment and almost full relief figure of soldier. ?Outstandingly good and attributed by Mrs Esdaile to Epiphanius Evesham? (Pevsner). Further wall monuments of mid C19 and by Bacon, 1817. C12 S doorway with spiral fluted shafts and zigzag in arch. Porch has 2 bays of single chamfered rib vaulting. Perp octagonal font, C19 brass lectern and C18 and C19 wall monuments in chancel. The Farnham Chapel is under the separate ownership of the Farnham Family, settled in Quorn since x1260. Pevsner.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.