|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of St Botolph Main Street Ratcliffe on the Wreake LE7 4SN|
|Volume, Map, Item||260, 7, 92|
|Parish||Ratcliffe on the Wreake|
|Conservation Area||Ratcliffe on the Wreake|
Church. C14, spire rebuilt 1812 and church restored 1876. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings, ashlar spire, and Swithland slate roofs. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, chancel and S porch. W tower of two stages with short diagonal buttresses, W window with C19 stained glass, N door, clock face to N, three 2 light bell openings, gargoyles, battlements and tall crocketted needle spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Nave has stepped buttresses. Inside, triple chamfered nave arch on polygonal responds, four bay N arcade on octagonal piers, blocked when N aisle demolished c1800. Three N windows, two with Y tracery and one with intersected tracery. N door. Three S windows with Geometric tracery. C19 four bay roof with curved braces and wall pieces on stone corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Early C14 chancel with two N windows with Geometric tracery, E window with recticulated tracery and stained glass of 1878 and three S windows with Geometric or curvilinear tracery. The middle of these has fragments of medieval glass including grisaille quarries. N door. N tomb recess with double chamfered arch and effigy of priest, c1300, the head under a crocketed gable. Piscina and triple sedilia. C19 three bay roof similar to nave. C12/C13 round font on probably C19 octagonal base. S porch rebuilt 1967. Kelly?s Leicestershire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire 1881, and Pevsner.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.