|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of Saint Mary Far Street Wymeswold LE12 6TZ|
|Volume, Map, Item||87, 2, 106|
Medieval Parish Church, restored in 1844 by AWN Pugin for Henry Alford, vicar, and later Dean of Canterbury. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, quoins and parapets throughout. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages, buttressed, with ogee arch to west door set in square, with quatrefoils in spandrels. 3-light window above, and paired lights to bell chamber. Lozenge frieze below embattled parapet. Corner pinnacles, and gargoyles. Nave of 5 bays with perpendicular embattled clerestory. South porch by Pugin with ogee arch capped by fleur de lys, and buttresses parallel to, and extending, south wall. Within the porch, a double shafted early C14 doorway. The north door is similar, within a 2 storey porch added by Pugin, steeply pitched, with copings, angled buttresses and ornate front with trefoiled lights and niche for status springing from ogee of entrance arch. Both N and S aisle windows were put in by Pugin and have stilted arches on corbel heads with hood moulds, and richly foiled tracery. Perpendicular chancel with 2 windows, comprising 2 ranks of trefoiled panel tracery, rising to a graceful sharp curve. East window similar. Small projecting bay to N of chancel contains the vestry.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.