|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of St Nicholas Church Road Wanlip LE7 4PJ|
|Volume, Map, Item||285, 3, 133|
|Description||Parish Church. Basically C13 and C14 but much restored: the south aisle was added in 1904. Mostly of granite rubble with ashlar dressing. West tower, nave with one aisle, and chancel. Late C13 buttressed west tower of 2 stages with west window with 3 cusped light, and paired foiled light to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. South aisle of 1904, in early decorated style. Its west wall has 3 stepped buttresses containing a door and two windows. Niche with statue over south door whose moulded arch springs from chamfer rather than a shaft. Two foiled 3 light windows with corbel heads. Plain parapet with gargoyles. South west window of nave consists of 3 rounded headed lights with high relieving arch and is early perpendicular. High chancel is slightly wider than the nave and built of fine rubble on a plinth. In its south side is a low side window and late decorated window of 3 foiled lights. The east window is a C19 restoration of an early perpendicular 5 light window with very plain tracery. The four north windows are Victorian renewals with stilted hoodmoulds and corbel heads over 3 light tracery. Interior has double chamfered arch to west tower, and nave arcade of 3 bays to south aisle. The aisle itself is of 1904, but the arcade is C14 the former aisle demolished 1796, short octagonal columns with heavy abaci support double chamfered arches with corbel heads to outer hoodmould. Some traces of painting on the piers. Narrow round arched north doorway. North windows set in shafted recesses. No chancel arch. Nave and chancel roofed as one, a C19 cambered trussed roof, the chancel emphasized by additional struts and bosses. Various late C17 and C18 wall memorials to members of the Palmer family in the chancel, and two C19 decorated slates bearing the commandments etc. above the alter. In the chancel floor a large brass of 1393, commemorating Thomas and Katherine Walsh, and recording that they ?in yer tyme made the Kirke of Anlep?. Figure of a knight and lady, in a border containing the inscription and the emblems of the evangelists. Stained glass in west and east windows of 1904; and some older armorial glass in north windows.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.