|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Holy Trinity Church Church Street Barrow upon Soar LE12 8PR|
|Volume, Map, Item||87, 3, 1|
|Parish||Barrow upon Soar|
|Ward||Barrow & Sileby West|
|Conservation Area||Barrow upon Soar|
Large parish church, medieval in plan and in much of interior, externally Victorian following a restoration and rebuilding (chancel, 1862, west tower and thorough restoration, 1870). West tower, nave with 2 aisles, and clerestory, transepts and chancel. Pink random granite rubble with white sandstone dressings, south porch and clerestory faced in sandstone. West tower has 2 principal stages, buttressed, and capped by thin corner pinnacles above a decorative frieze. 2-light openings to bell chamber with heavy tracery. Large clock on south face below. Large south porch with embattled parapet and heavy gargoyles. Church parapetted throughout, and buttressed - the buttresses also have white stone dressings and copings to gabled and trefoiled tops. Various types of window tracery: clerestory is perpendicular, aisle windows a late decorated style, with reticulated curves. All windows have hoodmoulds terminating in large and massy foliate corbels. Chancel has a different and distinctive decorative scheme: buttresses have small projecting grotesque carvings, decorative frieze (foliage, beasts etc) below parapet and a later decorated window tracery pattern, with spare tracery lines. Interior has nave arcade of 4 bays, with double chamfered arches on round piers, late C13. Easternmost piers have 4 shafts and relate to C14 building of transepts (existing transepts are C19). Perpendicular clerestory and nave roof - low pitched cambered trusses with traceried panels, supported on angel brackets, and with gilded bosses. Large chancel has fine carved choir stalls (1918), turned C17 altar rails, and an ornate stone reredos, representing the Last supper, heavily undercut, also sedilia, 1884. Chancel roof a plain timber low-pitched structure, with decorated cambered trusses and cornice. East window, a memorial to various C17 local figures is by Powell and Co., 1890. So is the stained glass window in the south aisle, C1929. Chancel contains memorial to Theophilus Cave, d. 1656, in mannerist style with well-turned epigram. In south transept, a memorial to Martha Utber, 1745, a kneeling female figure at a prie-dieu in a surround with pilasters, broken pediment and arms.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.