|Date Listed||Mon 5th November, 1984|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Fearon Fountain Market Place Loughborough LE11 3EB|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 10, 58|
Drinking fountain, dated 1870 above north arch, restored 1981. Ashlar, with polished Aberdeen granite columns, and late C19 cast iron lamp above. Square based canopied structure on a rustic basement (raised on plain plinth dated 1981), carried on squat columns with stylised foliage capitals, with cusped, round headed arches, bracketed cornice, traceried gables (north one carries shield of arms) and polished marble basins to north and south. Lions? heads to east and west. Inscribed ?Our common mercies/loudly call/for praise to God/who gave them all?. Metal plaque to west records ?The Fearon Fountain presented to the town by Archdeacon Fearon to mark the provision of Loughborough?s first public water supply in 1870. Renovated as part of the Market Place enhancement 1981?.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.