Garage and attached walls. 1914. For Edmund Denison Taylor.
DESCRIPTION:- Red brick, some moulded brick and tilework. Plain tile domed roof. In Arts and Crafts style and in the form of an elaborate garden pavilion. Rectangular plan with canted corners. Single storey. Front to Castledine Street has pair of part-glazed doors within a wide basket arch of fine splayed tilework. Above is a tilework raised band, then a frieze of inset circles of brick and a tilework band which continues round the whole building. The canted corners to left and right and to rear have a round window with tilework keystones. To the sides are tall oval windows with large tilework keystones which rise to the band and splayed aprons which go down to the building?s plinth. Above the frieze is a dentil cornice and ornamental leadwork gutter and downpipes. The large domed roof has a wrought iron weathervane at its apex. To either side of the gargae curving out to the street and continuing parallel to it for approximately 10m. is a brick boundary wall. This has sunk panels each with a terracotta ornament in the cnetre and a moulded brick frame with curved corners. The wall has a coped top.
HISTORY:- The garage was built by the owner of 6 Burton Walks (q.v.) at the end of the garden of which the garage stands. E. D. Taylor who had his house designed in the Voysey style, built this garage for his Rolls Royce. He was a director of the successful Loughborough firm, Taylor?s Bell Foundry (q.v.), which cast Great Paul for St Paul?s in London and exported bells all over the world.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE:- This garage of 1914, in the Arts and Crafts style, is of very high quality and has fine moulded brickwork and tilework decoration and is comparatively rare for the date. It is in the style of a garden pavilion with a domed roof and has a grandeur suitable to its first occupant, the owner?s Rolls Royce.