|Date Listed||Fri 22nd April, 2005|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||North Water Tank Great Central Station Loughborough LE11 1RW|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 0, 10013|
|Description||Railway water tank. 1899 for the Great Central Railway. Wrought and cast iron. Standard design of circular tank made of wrought iron plates on top of a cast iron column. It forms a group with Loughborough Central station and is one of the very few examples of these water tanks surviving in situ, another two being at Loughborough as well. HISTORY: Loughborough Central station was opened by the Great Central Railway on what was originally the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway's London Extension when it was promoted in 1893. It became the OCR in 1897. Loughborough Central was opened on 15th March 1899 and closed on 5th May 1969. It was reopened 23rd March 1974 as headquarters of the Great Central Railway (a private steam preservation line). It is an almost completely unaltered station of 1898 which continues in traditional use with a steam railway. References: R.V.J.Butt, The Directory of Railway Stations. Patrick Stephens Limited, 1995. Information from Martin Hammond, Honorary Architect, Great Central Railway.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.