|Date Listed||Mon 5th November, 1984|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Our Lady?s Convent and School adj. Park Road Loughborough LE11 2EF|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 5, 75|
|Conservation Area||Victoria Street|
|Description||Convent, with chapel, priest?s house and school. Begun 1850, and built slowly during the next few decades (Chapel 1863-4, school altered 1889, priest?s house late C19). By Charles Hansom. Red brick with whitened headers and stone dressings, Swithland slate roofs (school has plain tile roof) with white brick crosses in the gable ends. Gothic Revival. Convent buildings round cloister porch, with chapel to west and priest?s house and school to south. The school is linked to the convent by a range built 1855 to form 3 sides of a quadrangle. Two-storeys and attic. East facade of convent 7 window range. Four centred doorway to left. Two dormers and 2 red brick chimney stacks in slope of roof, the left hand one with 2 lancets. Fenestration mostly pairs of cusped lancets, some with transoms, with casement windows and glazing bars, beneath segmental brick relieving arches. Apsidal chapel with side chapels, lit by ?Geometrical? traceried windows (ritual north windows C20), has waggon roof carried on corbels and west gallery. Reredos by Theodore Phyffers 1873. School rewindowed in keeping with convent and 2 storey porch and verandah added 1889. Mortuary chapel by Charles Hansom?s son, and infant?s school in Italianate style in grounds. House of Rosminian sisters, founded by Mary Agnes Amherst. C20 additions to school not of special architectural interest.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.