|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Remains of Old Hall Stanford Lane Cotes LE12 5TW|
|Volume, Map, Item||87, 1, 35|
|Description||Boundary walls of the vanished Cotes Hall, largely C16, ruinous. Large fragments of wall forming a square enclosure c70 yards square. Various materials English bond brick work, limestone and granite rubble, with some ashlar work to internal face. Plinth and chamfering in parts, angled brickwork on gradient in part. Turned to form gateway in middle of NW face, and running down to river, suggesting possible former water gate. Further to NW an additional, smaller enclosure. Cotes Hall had 26 hearths in hearth tax of 1666, but was destroyed by some time in the C18. Nichols noted in 1800 that ?large fragments of the walls still remain ... the entire garden, fenced in with a good stone wall, has been for some time let to gardeners?. In 1877 Whites Directory noted traces of the ancient hall, old terraces, a boat house and a fine old barn.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.