|Date Listed||Tue 9th October, 1984|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||School School Lane Birstall LE4 4EA|
|Volume, Map, Item||285, 5, 43|
School, 1860, in Puginian gothic style by W Millican. Granite rubble, with decorative bands of ashlar with brick. Swithland slate roof and coped gables. A long low single storey, with one large gable that interrupts the eaves line. Towards the left of the elevation, an archway in shouldered stone architrave that just cuts the eaves gives on to a recessed porch, in which to left and right are 2 doors with shouldered wood cases. Right of this, 2 large quatrefoil openings just beneath the eaves in stone. Right again is the large coped gable, ashlar containing a blank arch in stone and brick, a continuous line without capitals. One blank circle in its apex, and the date. Paired archways to ground floor, with shouldered architraves and squat central marble column with foliate capital and deep base. On the roof of the gable is a small and graceful cupola, timberwork with alead fleche. Right of the gable 2 more quatrefoil openings, and a buttress. Two dormers in the roof one each side of the gable. North east side wall contains a large stone and brick trefoiled archway surrounding a three lancet window with quatrefoil above. There is a trefoiled opening in the gable apex.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.