|Date Listed||Wed 25th July, 1979|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Swithland Hall Main Street Swithland LE12 8TJ|
|Volume, Map, Item||286, 4, 92|
|Ward||Rothley & Thurcaston|
Mansion partially completed by 1834 and finished by 1852. Designed by James Pennethorne for George John Danvers Butler-Danvers, later Earl of Lanesborough. Granite and slate rubble stone and brick wholly stuccoed and painted, with Swithland slate roofs behind a parapet. Symmetrical stuccoed chimney stacks with flues grouped in 2, 3 and 4?s. A central block and two wings in a restrained neo-classical style with banded rustication to ground floor, 1st floor sill band and dentilled cornice. Two storeys, with in part a sunken basement, of mostly 6/6 or tripartite sashes. Entrance front has one storey porch with four paired Greek Doric fluted columns up four stone steps. Within a two leaved door with side lights and long overlight in four panels with astragals. To either side a pedimented section with scroll headed tripartite below and Grecian oriel above with sash beyond. Wings either side then project forwards: three sashes both floors to sides and ends with one blank either side. On ends two low curving walls masking basements. On outer sides various sashes and entrances to basements. Central block of garden front projects forward, 1-3-1, with central canted bay carried upwards to 2nd storey, with a large carved tablet of the Butler-Danvers arms in the centre. Sashes either side and below with ground floor central sash having partly glazed doors approached by two stone steps. Urn on top of this sections roof. Further canted bays on the ends of the block: one to right end and two to left. Further sashes on rear of wings. Projecting from that to right a one storey flat roofed ballroom with central canted bay. Inside an entrance vestibule with semi circular ends leads to staircase hall with oak staircase of c1834. Turned and fluted oak balustrade. Good decoration of room to left of vestibule probably of same date. Elsewhere simple fireplaces, cornices and all original doors. 1852 on wing rainwater heads.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.