|Date Listed||Mon 15th March, 1965|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||The Old Rectory Rectory Place Loughborough LE11 1UW|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 2, 82|
|Conservation Area||Church Gate|
|Description||Previously an Ancient Monument - descheduled 20 Feb 97 Two bays of medieval hall-house, now ruinous, with parts of lower end rebuilt as museum. Late C13 or early C14 and later. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Walls thickened, perhaps in C16 - cross passage doors (and probably also the windows) had 2-centred arches to exterior, 4-centred to interior. Lower end, 3 arched doorways (central one mutilated) into service area linked by ashlar surround with fine Geometrical traceried spandrels. Low cusped-headed doorway leading to staircase on right. Left-hand return front of lower end incorporates some old timbers arranged when this block was rebuilt as museum in the 1960s. at rear, part of ashlar surround to doorway opposite central opening from hall survives, below coping for gable of building beyond, presumably kitchen. Single-light cusped opening to first floor. The Rectory was enlarged at later dates - notably after a fire in 1826 - but in 1962 all save the medieval part was demolished.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.