|Date Listed||Mon 15th March, 1965|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Garendon Park, The Temple of Venus Ashby Road Garendon Park LE11 3QU|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 9, 12|
Temple, of the 1730s, by Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon (d.1737). Of ashlar , with carved oak entablature and copper dome. Circular plan, loosely based on the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli. Raised on 4 steps, with a peristyle of Ionic columns. Entablature painted white, with the frieze of ox skulls and small bays with swags between. The roof member of the cornice has lions? heads at intervals. The centre of the temple has a circular apartment with rusticated walls, classical doorcase and 2 fold fielded-panel door. The interior originally contained a statue of Venus, now lost, perhaps destroyed by Luddite rioters in 1811. Mark Aironard, ?Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon?, Architectural History, 1965.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.