|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||No. 16 Almshouse Church Street Barrow upon Soar LE12 8PR|
|Volume, Map, Item||87, 3, 12|
|Parish||Barrow upon Soar|
|Ward||Barrow & Sileby West|
|Conservation Area||Barrow upon Soar|
Almshouses, founded in 1686 by Humphrey Babington in memory of his Uncle, Theophilus Cave, and intended to house 6 bachelors. A deep ?U? plan, 2 storeys. Lower storey is original, random granite rubble, with later (early C19?) flemish bond brickwork to 1st floor. Limestone and brick dressings - limestone quoins. Hipped slate roof. Windows are elaborately latticed casements (but some have been replaced). Central range of 3 bays containing a central projecting stone porch with Tuscan pilasters, and above the architrave, an overlight. Above this, a broken pediment containing coat of arms. Boundary wall adjoins, with central stone gateway with Tuscan pilasters, architrave and broken pediment with arms and inscription plate beneath. Large consoles link gateway to boundary wall on each side.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.