Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for working age people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might normally expect to apply for or already receive as separate payments.

Read the Government's publication 'Completing the move to Universal Credit'.

Over the next year, most working age people who receive legacy benefits (Tax Credits, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance and Housing Benefit) will need to claim Universal Credit (UC). Find out more.

What benefits does it replace?

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Child and Working Tax Credits

If you are of working age and already receive housing benefit you will continue to receive this unless your claim ends or you have a significant change.

How to I claim universal Credit?

You can get Universal Credit if:

  • you are claiming benefits for the first time
  • you have a change of circumstances that affects your current benefits

However, if you live in supported accommodation or are of Pension Credit age, you should claim existing benefits.

Make a claim for universal Credit

What happens next?

You’ll need to arrange an assessment interview at your local Jobcentre within seven days of applying online. You will be told how to do this when you submit your application.

When will I be paid?

It can take up to six weeks for your first payment to reach your account. If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment, please speak to your work coach.

If you don’t have enough money to live on whilst you wait for your first payment, you can log into your account and request an advance payment.

Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644 (Freephone).

Last updated: Tue 30th January, 2024 @ 11:11