Universal Credit is a new type of benefit designed to support people who are on a low income or out of work. It will eventually replace six existing benefits and is currently being rolled out in stages across the UK.
The new system is based on a single monthly payment, transferred directly into a bank or post office account.
Universal Credit will be given to people who are:
- aged over 18
- fit to work
- registering for benefits for the first time
- registered as unemployed at Loughborough JobCentre Plus
- have a bank or building society account
Universal Credit will replace:
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credits
- Working Tax Credits
- Housing Benefit
Preparing for Universal Credit
The Youtube video below was produced by the Money Advice Service to explain how you can get ready for these changes.
For more information on Universal Credit, visit the Government's website.
Last updated: Wed 21st February, 2018 @ 13:03