Details of who can or cannot claim Housing Benefits or Local Council Tax Support are listed below. To work out whether you could qualify for help, use our online calculator.
There are certain exceptions to both of these lists; contact Benefit Claims if you would like to know more.
Unless you are living in supported accommodation, customers receiving Universal Credit will receive their housing costs as part of their Universal Credit payment.
Who can claim?
If you are on a low income and pay rent to:
- The council
- A Housing Association
- A private landlord
- Board and lodging
For Council Tax:
- You are the person or one of the people liable to pay the council tax charge on the property you are living in.
Who can't claim?
- People who have over £16,000 in savings, unless you are receiving Guaranteed Pension Credits (if you are a couple we will add your savings together)
- People who are living with and renting from close relatives
- People who are renting from a former partner or the parent of their dependant child/children
- People who are renting from a company of which they are a director, employee or former employee or former partner of these people
- People who were formerly a non-dependant in the same property or were previously the owner of the property
- People, who we believe have created a rental agreement to take advantage of the benefits scheme
- People whose rental agreement is not on a commercial basis
- People who have come to live in this country but have no recourse to public funds
- British Citizens returning to this country from living abroad in a non European Union country within the past two years (although benefit may be awarded after a certain period of time)
- Certain students
- There are special rules for people living in residential or nursing homes
|FOI 3864||28th Jan 2014||Bedroom Tax Arrears|
|FOI 1987||25th May 2012||Revs and Bens Info|
|FOI 2136||12th Jul 2012||Contact and Bailiff Details|
|FOI 2281||3rd Sep 2012||Housing Benefits|
|FOI 1214||24th Feb 2011||Housing Benefit Service|
|FOI 4709||21st Jul 2014||Social Sector Siz Criteria|
|FOI 2656||28th Jan 2013||Bedroom Tax|
|FOI 2674||31st Jan 2013||Bedroom Tax|
|FOI 2676||1st Feb 2013||Bedroom Tax|
|FOI 2720||18th Feb 2013||Benefits Questions|
|FOI 3110||20th Jun 2013||Bedroom Tax Evictions|
|FOI 3403||26th Sep 2013||Housing Benefit|
|FOI 4472||30th May 2014||Benefit Claims|
|FOI 3604||18th Nov 2013||Bedroom Data|
Last updated: Wed 21st December, 2016 @ 09:24