|Date Listed||Thu 15th March, 1984|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Charnwood House Brand Hill Woodhouse Eaves LE12 8SX|
|Volume, Map, Item||286, 3, 143|
|Conservation Area||Woodhouse Eaves|
Childrens Convalescent Home, now Children?s Home of 1900. Red brick with brick band, wooden cornice, and plain tile hipped roof with massive red brick stacks. Three ridge (1 coupled) and end stacks. Two storeys in Queen Anne style with mainly 6/6 sash windows and some leaded casements. Gauged brick lintel to ground floor and stone sills. Two closely set wings project to front right. That further to right has semi circular one storey former porch with leaded half dome roof. Former door blocked with window and further 1 light windows either side. Above in stone band is inscribed ?Cooper Memorial Convalescent Home for Children?. Canted oriel bay over and projecting stack and 4/4 sash to right. On stack a tablet in stone and cut and moulded brick inscribed ?Built by Rev. W H Cooper of Burleigh Hall, Loughborough, in memory of his wife Mary Cooper, 1900?. The wing to left has two 2 light leaded casements both floors. The wings are joined at 1st floor level by small C20 infill with similar 2 light: C20 door and window in recessed section under. To left of wings a similar 4 light casement both floors and a C20 two storey wing with flat roof and brick stack projecting forwards. On right end of main range a central two storey projection with hipped roof and 6 light mullion and transom staircase window with leaded lights. Similar 4 light casement beneath. Two 6/6 sashes both floors to left and 2 light dormer above. A 6/6 both floors and a C20 1 light window to right. On roof ridge a wood and lead octagonal open turret with weathervane. Rear is a front of 10 mainly 6/6 sashes with part glazed painted stone veranda to left, two glazed doors and two 6/9 sashes within. Balustraded top and glazed over. Canted right end to veranda of brick with three 4/4 sashes and door. Tripartite 2/2: 6/6: 2/2 and 2 further sashes to right. On roof to left three dormers: 2 light, 3 light, 2 light, the centre having curved gable. On roof ridge to right a wood and lead octagonal open turret. C20 one storey extension on right end.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.