Church of St Mary, Bradgate Road, Anstey (Grade II)
|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of St Mary Bradgate Road Anstey LE7 7FB|
|Volume, Map, Item||286, 5, 1|
Church of C14/15 and 1846. Charnwood granite rubble stone with stone dressings and slate roof with stone coped gables. W tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower of C14/C15 but restored, remainder completely rebuilt in 1846. Tower of 3 stages with gargoyles and battlements. Low W door with perp 2 light window above and 4 similar bell openings, renewed tracery. Remainder has stepping buttresses and angle buttresses, some rising in crocketted finials. Windows have curvilinear type tracery with hood moulds and label stops. Norman style door in N wall W end. S door with ogee shaped carved surround. Nave and aisle of 4 bays. Interior: arcades of moulded arches springing from clustered piers. Clerestory of small trefoils. Open truss type roof springs from carved corbels. Similar roof to chancel, here painted. Windows have hoodmoulds and label stops. E window bottom lights blind, otherwise stained glass of 1904. Stained glass in S.E. (1901) and a S (1920) window. Fixed hatchment, possibly plaster on N wall.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.