Skip to content

Church of St Paul, Church Hill, Woodhouse Eaves (Grade II*)

Geo: 52.7218, -1.2143
Date ListedThu 15th March, 1984
CategoryStatutory Listed Building
AddressChurch of St Paul Church Hill Woodhouse Eaves LE12 8RT
GradeGrade II*
Grid ReferenceSK5316714080
LBS189212
Volume, Map, Item286, 3, 156
ParishWoodhouse
WardForest Bradgate
Conservation AreaWoodhouse Eaves
DescriptionChurch of 1837 and 1880. By W Railton with transepts and other minor alterations by Ewan Christian. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed stone with Swithland slate roof and stone coped gables with kneelers. W tower and door, nave, transepts and chancel with SW and SE vestries. In lancet style with plinth, stepped buttresses and hoodmoulds with foliage label stops. W tower of 3 stages. Some rebuilding 1903. W door with double chamfered arch, double lancet above with C19 stained glass. Metal clock dial over and triple lancet bell openings on each face with parapet and pinnacles. Two blank lancet slits on N and S faces and further clock dial on N face. Inside, between tower and nave, door with glazed iron grille at 1st stage level. Nave has three lancets either side with late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Roof of five bays of false hammerbeam collar truss type on battlemented stone corbels. N and S transept two bay arcades with double chamfered arches on circular piers. Four lancets and small W door to N and three lancets to S with openwork timber roofs. Stained glass of c1880. Moulded chancel arch with hoodmould and label stops. Either side of arch supported by small marble column on fluted corbel. Two lancets to N side of chancel and one to S with organ arch. Stained glass of late C19 and early C20. E window of three coupled lancets, centre taller, with marble columns and foliage capitals. Fine C19 stained glass. Wagon roof and 6 light brass chandelier. Coloured floor tiles probably Minton in chancel and head of nave. Contemporary font, carved pulpit, brass lectern and pews. SW vestry with gabled roof, SE of 1910, flat roofed with parapet. Fine prominent position on rocky outcrop.

The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.

Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.

Share this page:

Back to top