|Date Listed||Fri 27th September, 1935|
|Category||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Address||Hill Fort, Enclosure & Linear Boundary Beacon Hill, Woodhouse Woodhouse|
|LBS||Monument Number 17111|
|Volume, Map, Item||17111|
|Description||The monument at Beacon Hill is situated on the Charnwood uplands north west of Leicester and includes a slight univallate hillfort a linear boundary and an enclosure which is contained in a second area. The site occupies a large area extending for more than 500m north of Beacon Road. The defended area is enclosed for about three quarters of the circuit of the hill by a ditch up to 1.5m deep and 8m wide and an outer bank surviving up to 1.5m high on the southern side of the monument An outer ditch which is up to l.5m deep encloses an additional area up to 70m wide on the south side. The faint remains of outworks lie on the south west side of the hillfort and are contained by a ditch measuring less than 0.5m deep and stretches of a bank which is up to 1.5m high and 8m wide Running north east from the main defences for a distance of 300m is a ditch up to 0.75m deep which divides at the north end and has a low bank on the south side It is identified as part of a contemporary linear dividing up the landscape for pastoral purposes. Part of an enclosure measuring at least 90m x 30m is situated within the second area 70m from the hillfort outworks on the south west side It is defined by a ditch 5m wide and 1.5m deep with a slight inner bank. There is now no indication of a continuation of the enclosure in the adjacent field to the west. No excavations have ever taken place on Beacon Hill but some chance finds have been made, the most significant of which is a Late Bronze Age founders hoard found in a pit in 1858, which included two spearheads and a socketed axe. A bronze axe mould has also been found on the hill together with a bronze bracelet found nearby also of Late Bronze Age date. These finds may suggest that the site was a production centre for bronze implements or alternatively that it was used as a place of refuge or a centre for trade. The name Beacon Hill recalls the use of the hill as a signalling post although no trace now remains of the beacon. Excluded from the scheduling are the surfaces of Beacon Road, all made up trackways and that part of the car park which lies within the area of the scheduling The ground beneath these features is included in the scheduling.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.