|Date Listed||Fri 26th February, 1993|
|Category||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Address||Moat at Lea Meadows South of Polly Botts Lane, Ulverscroft Ulverscroft|
|LBS||Monument Number 17098|
|Volume, Map, Item||17098|
|Description||The monument is situated in the granite uplands north west of Leicester and includes a moated site with associated drainage channels. The rectangular moated area measures approximately 75m x 85m in overall dimensions and is divided into two parts by the former course of a stream which currently flows on the eastern side of the site. The western half of the moated area is composed of a large rectangular island measuring 35m x 85m. The eastern half of the area is of similar dimensions but divided to form two islands each measuring 40m x 35m. The moat arms have been partly infilled, particularly the western arm, the remainder measuring about 0.5m deep. An external bank measuring 0.5m high lies on the north west side of the site. To the south of the moated area is a complex system of interconnecting water channels and enclosures which are an integral part of the site. Lea Meadows together with Lea Wood was meadow land first mentioned in 1287. It was cleared from the forest to enclose 100 acres. The land was held by the manor of Groby and not Ulverscroft.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.