We aim to provide efficient and good quality services to all our customers, but on some occasions things can go wrong. 

The Corporate Complaints Policy at Charnwood Borough Council has recently been reviewed and was implemented on August 1, 2019.

The two main changes to the new Policy are:

  • The council will now only consider complaints where the incident has happened within the last 12 months.
  • Escalation of complaints to stage 1 or 2, must be made within three months of the previous complaint stage response.

For example, if a customer receives a stage 1 response on March 1, 2019, a request to escalate the complaint must be received by June 1, 2019.

What you can complain about

  • The lack of fairness or professionalism of interaction with officers
  • Failure to do something we should have done
  • Refusal to provide a service or delivery of poor service
  • Failure to follow the correct policy or procedure

What you can’t complain about

  • Matters of law or central government policy
  • Complaints where the customer or the Council has started legal proceedings
  • Complaints that have already been decided by a court or independent tribunal
  • Complaints from staff about personnel matters, including appointments, dismissals, pay, pensions and discipline. These are dealt with under the Council’s HR procedures
  • Complaints relating to Freedom of Information (FOI), Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and Data Protection legislation
  • The correct application of Council policy, or to matters for which there is a right of appeal (an appeal within the Council or to an independent tribunal)

How to complain

You can make a complaint by completing a form or visit our complaints contact us page

What happens after you complain

You will receive a response to your complaint within the following timescales:

  • Stage 0 – 10 working days
  • Stage 1 – 10 working days
  • Stage 2 – 20 working days

If you are still unhappy you can escalate your complaint to the next stage.

If you are still unhappy after the Council has completed its investigation into your complaint you can approach the relevant Ombudsman.

These are independent organisations appointed by the Government to look into complaints of bad practice against local authorities:

Vexatious And Unreasonably Persistent Complaints Policy

The majority of complaints received by the Council are dealt with through the Corporate Complaints Policy without difficulty. Sometimes, however, complainants may be pursuing complaints in unreasonable ways. The Vexatious and Unreasonably Persistent Complaints Policy will only be applied where absolutely necessary and describes how the Council may deal with complaints effectively where the complainant is vexatious and or, unreasonably persistent in pursuing complaints.

An Unreasonably Persistent Complaints Policy helps staff and complainants to understand clearly what is expected of them, what options for action are available, and who can authorise these actions. It also assists staff to manage the expectations and behaviour of complainants while their complaint is addressed.

This policy should be read in conjunction with the Council’s Corporate Complaints Policy.

Where you can get help

  • Citizens Advice Bureau
    • Woodgate Chambers, 70 Woodgate, loughborough, LE11 2TZ
    • Tel: 0844 4171025 (landline)
    • Tel: 0300 3301025 (mobile)
    • Money Advice clients only: (01509) 221215 or 08442 480 040

Last updated: Thu 7th November, 2019 @ 15:09