It is a criminal offence to make changes to a statutory listed building without consent. Any alteration except for normal maintenance, repair and decoration will require Listed Building Consent and possibly planning permission as well.

You can find out whether your property is a Statutory or Locally Listed Building either by using our listed building search or by checking the Property Notices section of the Local Information page on My Charnwood. If your property is listed, please contact us to find out about any policies or restrictions that may apply.

Things you can do with listed building consent

  • Add an extension
  • Build a garage, conservatory, shed
  • Alter internal walls
  • Replace windows, doors, etc with like for like

You can apply for Listed Building Consent online and you may also need planning permission.

Things you will not normally be allowed to do

  • Demolition
  • Knock down chimneys
  • Alter internal walls in order to make larger spaces
  • Install uPVC double glazing
  • Change the roofing material, eg from slate to tile
  • Clad the walls or render them
  • Add roof lights or a dormer window so you can use the loft
  • Add new windows

Do not hesitate to contact us. We are always willing to answer your questions and to meet you on site.

Like for like

Like for like means as exactly the same as the original as possible:

  • The same design
  • The same kind of material
  • The same construction techniques

For instance, when you replace a sash window it should be in timber, certainly not uPVC, single glazed, with the same glazing bars with the same pattern of moulding. If you are in doubt, please contact us.

Last updated: Wed 1st February, 2017 @ 15:26