The Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is the scheme for paying Housing Benefit, initially to tenants renting from private landlords.

Your benefit is paid to you and it is up to you to pay the rent to your landlord.

The money will be paid direct into your bank account. If you do not already have a bank account you may need to open one.

How is LHA worked out?

The Local Housing Allowance is a flat rate housing allowance based on the number of people who live with you and the number of bedrooms needed. Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are not counted.

One bedroom is allowed for:

  • every adult couple
  • any other adult aged 16 or over
  • any two children regardless of sex aged under 10yrs
  • any two children of the same sex aged under 16yrs
  • any other child

If you are a joint tenant you will qualify for a rate of LHA based on your family unit, inclusive of any non-dependants, lodgers or boarders.

For more information visit the VOA website

How much will I get?

The amounts of Local Housing Allowance will be notified to us by the Rent Service each month. These can be viewed below or directly at the council offices. The maximum number of bedrooms that can be allocated to the household has been restricted to four.

Rates for 2024/25

  • Shared Room - £91.00 per week
  • 1 Bedroom - £124.27 per week
  • 2 Bedroom - £149.59 per week
  • 3 Bedroom - £178.36 per week
  • 4 Bedroom - £241.64 per week

If you are a single person under 35 you will only be entitled to the Shared Room Rate. If you are a single person or a couple over 35 you will be entitled to the one-bedroom rate. If you are actually living in shared accommodation, then you will only be entitled to the shared room rate.

The amount of actual benefit you receive will depend on the money you have coming in, any capital you have and who lives with you.

What if I am unable to manage my own affairs?

If you are unable to manage you affairs, we shall try to safeguard your benefit payments. This means that your benefit could be paid to a "third party", for example a son or daughter, who could then pay the rent on your behalf.

In certain circumstances the authority can pay benefit direct to the landlord. This can only happen when a professional body has provided proof that a customer is not able to manage their own affairs either through illness/severe learning difficulties or severe debt problems.

In these circumstances the authority will require additional information from the customer or from any appointee. Our Safeguard Policy is available to read below:

Last updated: Fri 22nd March, 2024 @ 10:30