You can make a claim for housing benefit if you (and your partner, if applicable):

  • have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit or receive a State Retirement Pension 
  • have been placed in temporary accommodation due to homelessness by the council
  • live in specified accommodation or a sheltered housing scheme
  • started to receive Pension Credit before May 15, 2019.

You will need to know certain information about you and your households circumstances, including details of earnings, pensions and benefit awards.

If you do not have all the required information/evidences to support your claim, you will have the opportunity to supply this after your application has been submitted.

Please do not delay in submitting your online claim as this may affect the date from which your claim can be considered.

  • Your tenancy agreement
  • Documents about your income such as your payslips and benefit award letters
  • Documents about any accounts, investments and savings you have such as bank statements and investments certificates
  • Documents about your identity – including your National Insurance Number and two forms of identification to submit/upload as evidence; i.e Passport, Birth Certificate, Driving Licence or recent utility bill.

Make a claim

If you do not qualify for housing benefit but still need support with paying your rent, you can apply for Universal Credit.

Last updated: Mon 31st July, 2023 @ 09:01