Skip to Content

Making payments

For a full list of refuse and recycling collection dates and Council opening times over the Christmas period, head to this webpage.

Housing Benefit is normally paid as follows (we cannot pay in advance):

  • Every four weeks in arrears by bacs transfer (direct deposit), where we pay your landlord direct
  • Every two weeks in arrears by bacs transfer (direct deposit) if we pay you

If you do not hold the type of bank account that will accept bacs transfers you will need to open a basic bank account. Most high street banks offer this service.

If you are prevented from opening a basic bank account for any reason you should contact the benefit service for advice. In these cases it may be possible to pay by other means. Please note that Post Office card accounts will not accept bacs transfers.

If you are a council tenant we will credit the benefit directly to your rent account. You will not receive a cheque.

Share this page:

Last updated: