Welcome to the food safety team. Our role is to improve and enforce standards of food hygiene, health and safety in food premises within the borough. In order to do this, we:
- Inspect local food businesses to enforce standards of cleanliness and good hygiene practices
- Investigate complaints about hygiene or contaminated foods (e.g. glass, metal, insects)
- Randomly sample purchase foods to test the quality and safety
- Investigate cases of food poisoning
- Run a National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme in conjunction with other Local Authorities in Leicestershire
You can receive up to date information on food safety regulations and food alerts in the UK by subscribing to the Food Standard Agency's RSS feed.
Food safety functions
In 2016 the food team achieved 99% customer satisfaction. Listed below are other food safety functions that we carry out.
- Business Advice
- Food Business Partnership
- Infectious Disease
- Food Complaints
- Food Hygiene Training
- Food Law Enforcement Plan 2015-16 (PDF Document, 11.05 Mb)
- Charnwood Borough Council Food Sampling Policy (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)
More information about local food issues can be found in our food safety newsletter:
- Food Safety Newsletter 2013 (PDF Document, 1.04 Mb)
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) is a system that helps food business operators look at how they handle food and introduces procedures to make sure everything produced is safe to eat.
As part of routine inspections, the enforcement officer will check that the business has an appropriate HACCP-based food safety management system in place. Visit the Food Standards Agency website for detailed information on how to develop a HACCP system for your business.
We can also offer in depth business advice on HACCP and food manufacturing. Contact the food safety team on 01509 634 656 for a chat about how we can help.
Egg handling and hygiene practices
There have been a number of outbreaks in the UK relating to food poisoning around eggs. The Food Standards Agency has provided us with the following guidence.
- Advice on good egg handling and hygiene practices (PDF Document, 0.15 Mb)
Stay food safe this summer
With warmer weather upon us during the summer months, it's important to think about food safety. Below is a link to the difinitive guide to safe summer food, put together by the Food Standards Agency.
Last updated: Fri 26th January, 2018 @ 11:24