Skip to Content

Private Sector Housing Grants

There is a flood alert in place for the Lower River Soar in Leicestershire. More on flood alerts:

There are a number of grants available to private sector housing tenants and owner-occupiers to help with things such as disability, home repairs and bringing empty homes back into use.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs)

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) provide financial assistance for disabled people who need an adaptation to their home.  This includes tenants and people living in houseboats and caravans. 

If you or someone in your household is disabled, then grant may be available for adaptations that Social Care class as essential to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and to access essential facilities within it. 

The Relocation Grant will assist with the costs of moving to suitable accommodation, and will be considered in cases where adaptations to the applicant’s current home through a DFG are unfeasible. 

Home Repair Assistance and Home Safety Grants

Home Repair Grants are available to vulnerable households where there is an imminent risk to the health or safety of the occupant(s) or passers-by.

Home Safety Grants are available to help low-income, elderly, infirm or disabled residents to connect to a Community Alarm Service, or for the installation of appropriate home security measures where the applicant is deemed to be at risk.

Due to current budget commitment levels, we are only able to accept new Home Repair Grant applications where there is an immediate risk to your health and/or safety.

If you are not eligible because you are not in receipt of the qualifying benefits, but feel you may be entitled to them, you should contact the Depratment for Work and Pensions at

Please contact the Private Sector Housing Team for further information.

Partnership Grants

Grant funding is available to bring empty homes back into use.  If you are the owner of a property that has been empty for six months or more and you would like assistance to bring that property back into use, then we would like to hear from you.

We are looking for owners of two bedroomed empty properties within the borough to apply for a Partnership Grant to fund renovation works and bring the property back into use.  The grant will cover 50% of the cost of the works up to a maximum of £15,000; in return the property must be made available for rent.

For more information, see Partnership Grant or contact the council on 01509 634651.

Private Sector Housing Grants Policy

Share this page:

Last updated: