Skip to Content

Holding an event in Charnwood - how to notify us

Customers may experience online payment disruptions on Sunday April 18 between 4-7am due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We have opened an online book of condolence for His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

We would like to know about events that are taking place in Charnwood, no matter how small or large, so that we can potentially offer advice in relation to being Covid secure.

Government guidelines state that you should liaise with your local authority to discuss the Covid secure controls that you are planning to put in place. 

Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are not accepting applications to hold events on council owned land at this time.

What information do you need?

If you are planning to organise an event please complete both forms below and return them to us at

If there are queries or concerns about your event you may be asked to submit further information.

What events can take place at the moment?

The type/size of event that can take place will depend on the Government guidance/legislation in place at the time of the event. You can find the most up to date guidance for your area by using the Government’s postcode checker at

Event organisers should carry out a thorough risk assessment and take all reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of viral transmission in line with Covid-19 secure guidance.  This includes ensuring that social distancing between different households or support bubbles, and between those working at events, and those attending, is maintained.

Here are some links to websites relating to Covid–19 which you may find helpful when planning your event:

What assistance can the Council give?

Once we receive your completed documentation we will circulate it to colleagues and partners who can offer advice about how the event can be made as Covid-secure as possible. We may also signpost you to other sources of information and provide information about any licenses or permissions required.

Who decides if an event can go ahead?

It is the responsibility of the event organiser(s) to decide if an event goes ahead.

The Council does not have general powers to stop events. If concerns are raised which relate to specific areas that the Council has powers over, such as the sale of alcohol, food safety, licensing, noise or health and safety then we may be able to take some formal action. We can also decide whether an event can go ahead on our land.

Concerns about highways are the responsibility of Leicestershire County Council.

Who is responsible for the management of the event?

The event organiser is responsible for the safe planning and delivery of their event.

The Council is not responsible for managing events in Charnwood other than those which they deliver themselves.  Events cannot take place on Council-owned land (or on Loughborough Market Place) unless we give formal approval in writing. The vast majority of events in Charnwood do not take place on Council land. 

Who enforces action relating to potential Covid breaches at an event?

Leicestershire Police - more information about reporting potential Covid breaches can be found on the Leicestershire Police website.

The Council currently has no powers to stop events for Covid related issues, but we can receive complaints about issues such as noise, anti-social behaviour. Please visit

Where there are significant Covid-19 risks identified Leicestershire County Council can issue a direction on event organisers. This can specify actions to be taken and ultimately impose prohibitions if necessary. 

Who do I contact if I want to make a complaint about the way an event was managed, such as social distancing not being followed?

You need to direct your comments to the event organiser or the Police.  If social distancing is not being adhered to, or face coverings not be worn in relevant locations, then this will be a matter for Leicestershire Police. 

If the event was on Council land (for example Queen’s Park, Southfields Park) or Loughborough Market Place, please contact us.

Customers of Charnwood-based businesses can now report a Covid-19 related issue to the environmental health team online at

If you have any enquiries about our event notification process please call 01509 634710 or email us at

Share this page:

Last updated: Thu 11th March, 2021 @ 15:14