Skip to Content

Holding an event - how to apply

If you wish to use Council owned land, or Loughborough Market Place, for an event you must make a formal application to us and receive approval in writing.

The application process will differ depending on the nature, complexity and size of the event.

To begin the application process please send an email to confirming:

  • The name of the organisation that will be managing the event
  • A summary of the event including:
    • Where you would like to hold the event
    • Dates and times of the proposed event
    • A brief description of the event
    • Approximate number of people expected to attend
    • The target audience for the event
    • Whether you will require road closure or temporary signage (this will usually require you to gain separate, formal approval from Leicestershire County Council or Charnwood Borough Council). Further information can be found on the temporary road closures page

Once we receive this information we will confirm the application process, advise on the suitability of the land (or possible alternatives) check for potential event clashes and confirm whether there will be a charge. 

Payment of the charge does not normally mean you have exclusive access to our land, which will usually remain open to the general public for the duration of your event.

Event organisers will need to complete our full application form which can be downloaded via the link below.

If applicable, you will also need to send us a site plan and (or) a route map. Depending on the size and complexity of the event you may also be required to submit and event manual. A suggested format for this is given below.

We may also ask you to submit other documents. 

We will not be able to approve your event until you provide us with written proof of Public Liability Insurance for the event (a minimum £5 million cover is required).

We usually expect event organisers to submit a full, complete application form and all required event planning documentation by the following timescales prior to needing a decision.

No road closure and (or) temporary signage required

Road closure and (or) temporary signage required

Up to 150 participants

6 weeks

12 weeks

151 to 800 participants

9 weeks

15 weeks

Over 800 participants

12 weeks

18 weeks

If you are not able to achieve the deadlines shown above please contact us and we will let you know whether it might be possible to process your application more quickly (this cannot be guaranteed).

If you have any queries or would like to talk to us about your proposed event, please contact us on or by phone on 01509 634710.

If your event requires a temporary road closure more information can be found on our temporary road closure page.

You can find out more about our charging structure for events on open spaces on our fees and charges page.

Share this page:

Last updated: