Private landlords, lettings agents and managing agents have certain rights and responsibilities. 

DASH Landlord Accreditation Scheme

Charnwood Borough Council works in partnership with the DASH landlord accreditation scheme.

  • DASH promotes good housing so tenants of DASH accredited landlords can expect a responsible landlord with better housing standards, quick repairs and maintenance and fair tenancy agreements.
  • Landlords benefit from a market advantage, resource materials and training, as well as inclusion on the DASH register of accredited landlords and reduced HMO licensing fees.

Register to the DASH accreditation scheme, find out more about DASH or have a look at Shelter's good practice guide for landlord accreditation for more information.        

DASH Resources – where housing professionals, landlords and property managers can find a host of publications.

Houses in Multiple Occupation

If you are the landlord of a House in Multiple Occupation (or HMO), please visit our separate Licensable HMO page for further details as to the mandatory license that large HMOs are required to have.

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector

From June 1, 2020, the Electrical Safety Regulations 2020 require private landlords in England to have the electrical installation in their rental properties checked by a qualified electrician to ensure that they are safe.

This means that:

  • Electrical installations must be inspected and tested prior to the start of a new tenancy from July 1, 2020
  • Checks must be carried out on any existing tenancies by April 1, 2021
  • These checks must then be carried out on a five yearly basis
  • A copy of the most recent electrical safety condition report (EICR) must be provided to both new and retained tenants
  • Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, this must be completed within 28 days (or any shorter period as specified in the report) and written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician must be supplied to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion.

See the Guide for Landlords on Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector for full details of the requirements and the properties that they apply to.

When providing written confirmation of the completion of remedial works to a rented property within Charnwood, please forward this information to:

Landlord e-newsletter

Our landlord e-newsletter contains lots of useful information specially designed for private landlords. Please fill in the form below to register.

Sign up to register for the Landlord E-Newsletter

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards in Domestic Private Rented Property

Since April 1, 2020, landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

If you are currently planning to let a property with an EPC rating of F or G, you need to improve the property’s rating to E, or register an exemption, before you enter into a new tenancy.

Find out if your property is covered by the Regulations here.

Where a Local Authority identifies a property which breaches the regulations, a civil penalty of up to £4,000 may be imposed.

If you have any queries regarding the Regulations, please E-Mail the Private Sector Housing Team at:

Funding Improvements to your Property

You will not be required to spend more than £3,500 (inc. VAT) on energy efficiency improvements. If you cannot improve your property to an EPC rating of E for £3,500 or less, you should make all the improvements which can be made up to that amount, then register an exemption. Click here for more information on exemptions and how to register and exemption.

Last updated: Mon 10th October, 2022 @ 10:48