Skip to Content

Register to vote

For details of the Covid-19 national restrictions, changes to Council services, and support available for residents, council tenants and businesses, visit

You will need to register to vote in order to take part in local, national and European elections, and in referendums and police commissioner votes. You can register to vote if you are:

  • 16 or older (although you will not be able to vote until you are 18)
  • A British citizen

Register to vote

Changes to the way we register

The way we all register to vote has changed to a system called Individual Electoral Registration (IER). This IER system means:

  • You can now register online.
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address.
  • You will be asked to confirm your identity when registering to vote (usually by giving your name, address, nationality, any previous address, your date of birth and your national insurance number).

If you can’t find your number, see

What if I have more than one address

If you split your time between two addresses, for example if you're a student with a home address and a term-time address, you can register to vote at both addresses, as long as they're not both in the Charnwood area.

You must live at both addresses for some of the time, and not rent out either property. At a local council election you can vote in both places. In a general election or European election you must choose to vote in one place only.

What if I live or work abroad?

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you can register to vote for parliamentary elections and European elections (not local elections) in the constituency where you last lived. You can vote for 15 years from when you registered.

Government employees, and people who work for the British Council Employees, and their spouses and civil partners, can be registered at an address they still have in Britain, or at the last address they were registered if different.

What if I am part of the Armed Forces?

Those in the armed forces, and their spouses or civil partners, can register in either of the following ways:


Can I vote anonymously?

It is possible to ask to register anonymously for reasons of safety, for example: if you are escaping violence or have a job that puts you at risk from other people for instance.

You’ll need documentary evidence like a court order or an injunction, or written support from a relevant organisation. 

Share this page:

Last updated: Wed 20th November, 2019 @ 13:12