Registering to vote means that you can vote in elections and referendums.

You can register to vote from the age of 16 although you will not be able to vote until you are 18.

Register to vote

To register to vote online, you need just five minutes. If you can't get online, you can call us on 01509 634546 or contact Electoral Services to request a paper registration form.

It is important to register:

  • To exercise your democratic right to vote in any public election
  • You may not be able to open a bank account, have a mobile phone contract or get credit.

If your application is valid, we'll write to you to confirm when you'll been added to the Electoral Register.

Electoral registration is separate from other parts of the council. Paying Council Tax will not automatically register you to vote.

You don’t need to register to vote before every election.

If you move house, you should register to vote again.

If you change your name for any reason, you can either:

What if I have more than one address

If you split your time between two homes, you may be able to register to vote at both addresses. For example, you might own two properties and split your time between them, or you might spend time at different family addresses.

If you apply to register to vote from your second home, then your application will be looked at on a case by case basis. The outcome will depend on the amount of time you spend at each of your addresses.

Being registered at two addresses doesn't necessarily mean you get two votes.

You will need to choose one address and vote in only that area when you're voting in:

  • UK Parliament elections
  • UK referendums
  • London Assembly and London Mayoral elections

You can't vote at both addresses at these elections. Voting in more than one location is a criminal offence. 

For other elections you can vote at both addresses.

You can choose to vote in either or both areas (as long as the addresses are in different council areas) when you're voting in:

  • Local council elections in England
  • Police and Crime commissioner elections and mayoral elections

Make sure you understand the rules for the election you are voting in.

Am I already registered?

If you're not sure if you have already registered to vote, you can contact Electoral Services to find out.

Electoral registration is separate from other parts of the council.

Other registration options

There are other options for registering to vote. Click on a link below to find out more:

Last updated: Thu 6th July, 2023 @ 12:13