Below is a list of useful contacts offering welfare, legal and financial advice to the residents of Charnwood.
We do not necessarily endorse or recommend any of the following links or services.
Visit the Gov.uk website for information and advice about entitlements, benefits, legal matters, allowances, grants, financial difficulties and debt.
- Benefits calculator
- Welfare reform
- Help and advice when looking for jobs
- Benefits information and advice
- Recession and debt advice
Leicestershire Welfare Provision (Social Fund)
From 12 noon on 31 March 2015 the Leicestershire Welfare Provision scheme closed to new applications. Leicestershire County Council have published a guide to organisations that may be able to assist in the future:
- Crisis and Emergency Support - Advice and Information (PDF Document, 0.12 Mb)
Besides looking in the local press for legal help and support, you can also visit the following websites:
- Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
- Look in the local press
- Legal Services Commission website for advice on how to find legal information and help
If you are on a low income Legal Aid may pay for your solicitor.
Welfare and financial advice
- Age Uk - The new force combining Age Concern and Help the Aged to form the largest charity working with and for older people.
- Tel: 0116 299 2233
- Charnwood Citizens Advice Bureau offers free, confidential, impartial and independent help and advice on a wide range of subjects including debt, benefits, housing, legal, discrimination, employment, immigration, consumer and other problems.
- Tel: 01509 221220
- Debt Advice Network is a registered charity providing free, impartial, professional, face-to-face advice to people in the UK with debt problems.
- Tel: 0300 0112340
- FreeDA - Debt Advice to help you understand your money problems. The service is free to anyone with personal debt problems living in Shepshed.
- Tel: 07500 721275
- PACE - Enquire is an information, advice and guidance service specialising in the area of debt, but are also able to signpost service users to a local source of help for other issues.
- Tel: 01509 211194
- Home Start - Provides support to parents and families who are struggling to cope for many reasons including post-natal illness, disability, bereavement, the illness of a parent or child, or social isolation.
- Tel: 0800 0686368
- LHA-Direct - from the Valuation Agency - Information about Local Housing Allowance, including a bedroom calculator and a full search facility by postcode or Local Authority area.
- Pension Credit from Directgov aims to combat poverty amongst pensioners.
- Tel: 0800 991234
- Sure Start is the Government's programme to deliver the best start in life for every child by bringing together early education, childcare, health and family support.
- Tel: 0116 3055993
- Tax Credits from Revenues and Customs - Information about Tax Credits for disabled people, people with children and people of working age, including how to make a claim.
- Tel: 0845 3003900
- Swanswell provide services for people with complex needs, including those affected by drug and alcohol misuse, mental health problems and those with a learning disability.
- Tel: 0300 303 5000
- Step Change Debt Charity offer free, impartial help to anyone in the UK with debt problems.
For more welfare, legal or financial advice
Last updated: Thu 25th April, 2019 @ 12:16