Below is some informative advice about access to work for those Charnwood residents living with disabilities.
Access to Work scheme
The Access to Work scheme is available to help overcome the practical problems some people with disabilities may experience in work or getting to work. Through Access to Work, Jobcentre Plus offers a grant towards the approved costs that arise, which can help pay for:
- A communicator for deaf people or those who have a hearing impairment and need a communicator with them at an interview
- Special equipment (or alterations to existing equipment) to suit particular work needs arising from disability
- Alterations to premises or working environment if needed because of a disability
- Help towards the cost of getting to work if a disabled person is unable to use public transport
The Disability Employment Advisor (DEA) at your local Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office can put you in touch with a specialist Access to Work Adviser who can tell you more about how Access to Work can support you.
Disability Confident Scheme
Through the Disability Confident Scheme, the government is working with employers to remove barriers, increase understanding and ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations.
The key aims and objectives of the scheme are to:
- challenge attitudes towards disability
- increase understanding of disability
- remove barriers for disabled people and those with long term health conditions in employment
- ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations
We have achieved Level 2 of the scheme and are proud to be a ‘Disability Confident Employer’, which involved attaining a number of criteria around themes of:
- Getting the right people for your business
- Keeping and developing your people
We have adopted the Disability Confident symbol and it is visible on all job advertisements and all application packs that are sent out.
In continuing with our Disability Confident journey, we aim to ensure that disabled people, and those with long term health conditions, are fully supported and have the opportunity to fulfil their potential in the workplace.
Last updated: Tue 18th January, 2022 @ 11:55