Skip to Content

Providing boarding for cats and dogs

You require a licence under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving) (England) Regulations 2018 if you provide or arrange for the provision of accommodation for other people’s cats or dogs in the course of a business in any premises where the provision of that accommodation is the purpose of the business.

This is further split into 4 parts providing boarding for:

  • Cats
  • In kennels for dogs
  • Home boarding for dogs
  • Day care for dogs

Licence Conditions and Guidance - Further information on what is classed as a business and what activities are considered in or out of scope is available in the following DEFRA documents:

These documents also detail the licence conditions that you would need to comply with if you were granted a licence.

Application form and fees

Animal Activity Licence Application Form – there is one generic Animal Activity Licence Form that covers all activities. Sections 1 to 4 must be completed for all application, and then complete the relevant sections for the activities that you are applying for.

Application and Licence Fee – The fees for an Animal Activity Licence are split into an application fee which must be received with the application and a licence fee which is required to be paid once the licence is approved and covers the length of the licence.

Additional Information

Any new licences issued will be for one year initially, and then any subsequent licences or renewals will be risk rated and will issued a 1, 2 or 3 years licence in accordance with their risk rating and corresponding star rating.

Further information on the new licensing process is available on our Animal Activity Licensing FAQs page.

For new applications, planning permission may be required. Further information can be obtained from Planning Services.

Share this page:

Last updated: