Skip to Content

Keeping or training animals for exhibition

We are currently running a reduced garden waste collection service until Monday June 15, when fortnightly collections will return. For more information, please visit

For the latest information on service changes, advice and support, please visit

If you keep or train animals for exhibition in the course of a business for educational or entertainment purposes you require a licence under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 -

(a)   To any audience attending in person, or

(b)   By the recording of visual images of them by any form of technology that enables the display of such images

Licence Conditions and Guidance - Further information on what is classed as a business and what activities are considered in or out of scope is available in the below DEFRA document:

This document also details the licence conditions that you would need to comply with if you were granted a licence.

COVID-19 – Advice for Animal Related Businesses

The guidance in the document below gives advice for those businesses involved in the boarding and also breeding of cats and dogs and pet shops which are activities that require a licence, but also dog walking and grooming that do not require a licence.

You can read animal business guidance on the CFSG website. This is updated regularly. 

Application form and fees

Animal Activity Licence Application Form – there is one generic Animal Activity Licence Form that covers all activities. Sections 1 to 4 must be completed for all application, and then complete the relevant sections for the activities that you are applying for.

Application and Licence Fee – The fees for an Animal Activity Licence are split into an application fee which must be received with the application and a licence fee which is required to be paid once the licence is approved and covers the length of the licence.

Additional Information

A licence will last for three years.

For new applications, planning permission may be required. Further information can be obtained from Planning Services.

Share this page:

Last updated: