If you are a full-time student you may be able to apply for a council tax discount or exemption.

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax.  If you get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

  • If you live in a Halls of Residence you don’t need to apply as an exemption is already in place. Please liaise with your student accommodation officer.
  • If you live with one other adult who is not a student, we will reduce your bill by 25%.

If you live at home with two or more adults who pay full Council Tax, you are not eligible to apply.

What is classed as a full-time student?

  • someone undertaking a full-time university or college course lasting for at least one achedemic year, and involves at least 21 hours of study per week

If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must:

  • last at least 3 months
  • involve at least 12 hours study per week

If you meet the above criteria, please apply for this exemption

How to apply

To apply please complete the application form. You will also need to provide a Council Tax exemption certificate from your college or university confirming your full time course

Apply for a student discount or exemption

If your application is successful a new bill or exemption notice will be issued to you. In the meantime, bills previously issued must be regarded as correct and due for payment as requested.

Last updated: Fri 12th April, 2024 @ 14:34