Skip to Content

Right to Buy

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, can be found in this news story.

The Right to Buy scheme gives most financially secure council tenants (and some housing association tenants) the right to buy their home at a discount.  

Do I qualify?

Secure tenants who are not entitled to buy their homes include:

  • Tenants of fully sheltered housing schemes for the elderly with a resident warden
  • Tenants of some properties that have been specially adapted for people with disabilities
  • Certain properties which are let to older people or those with disabilities, for example, bungalows
  • In situations where a court makes a possession order that says you must leave your home
  • If you have been served a notice saying that the council intends to demolish your home

There are strict timescales for tenants who wish to buy their home, so if you do not respond within the timescales, you will need to re-apply.

Click on the links below for more information on the Right to Buy scheme:

How to apply

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Right to Buy application form was removed in late March and the service was not available. The service is back up and running again from Monday August 3.

Please complete the Right to Buy Application Form and additional information request form, save them to your computer and return them to

If the above form doesn't work for any reason, contact property services on 01509 634835 or at to request a copy of the form. 

If you buy your home, it is important to remember that there will be a number of expenses to consider as part of the house-buying process. There will also be ongoing costs of owning a home.

You should think about how you would make payments if you (or anyone you are buying with) lost some, or all, of their income.

Share this page:

Last updated: Thu 13th August, 2020 @ 14:18