The Right to Buy scheme gives most financially secure council tenants (and some housing association tenants) the right to buy their home at a discount.
Do I qualify?
Secure tenants who are not entitled to buy their homes include:
- Tenants of fully sheltered housing schemes for the elderly with a resident warden
- Tenants of some properties that have been specially adapted for people with disabilities
- Certain properties which are let to older people or those with disabilities, for example, bungalows
- In situations where a court makes a possession order that says you must leave your home
- If you have been served a notice saying that the council intends to demolish your home
There are strict timescales for tenants who wish to buy their home, so if you do not respond within the timescales, you will need to re-apply.
Click on the links below for more information on the Right to Buy scheme:
- Right to Buy - Maximum Discounts 2020-21 (PDF Document, 0.24 Mb)
- Right to buy discount rates
- Right to Buy - Guide for Local Authorities 2020 (PDF Document, 0.4 Mb)
- Right to Buy - Summary Booklet 2019 (PDF Document, 2.82 Mb)
- Buying back ex-council properties sold through the right to buy scheme (PDF Document, 0.19 Mb)
- Right of First Refusal (PDF Document, 0.19 Mb)
- Right to Buy Refusal Process (PDF Document, 0.19 Mb)
How to apply
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Right to Buy application form was removed in late March and the service was not available. The service is back up and running again from Monday August 3.
If the above form doesn't work for any reason, contact property services on 01509 634835 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the form.
If you buy your home, it is important to remember that there will be a number of expenses to consider as part of the house-buying process. There will also be ongoing costs of owning a home.
You should think about how you would make payments if you (or anyone you are buying with) lost some, or all, of their income.
Last updated: Thu 13th August, 2020 @ 14:18