Following flooding in Charnwood due to Storm Henk, we have put together some frequently asked questions for council tenants. 

We understand that this is a difficult time, and we are here to support you throughout this process.

Damage to your home

If your home has been damaged by flood water, please contact us on 01509 634 666.

If you need alternative accommodation

Please contact our housing needs team on 01509 634567 or 0333 200 8811.

If you need to leave your home to due to flooding and it is safe to do so, turn off gas, water and electricity before you leave. If you are able, consider moving as many items as possible upstairs, or to safety. Take a bag of essential items which includes clothing, medicines, passport, driving licence and insurance documents if you need to leave your home.

You should also move your family, pets and car to a safe location if possible. Put up any flood protection you may have for your home before leaving.

Is it safe to stay in my home?

When we visit your home we will confirm if it is safe for you to stay. If we assess your home as unsafe to live in, we will advise you if and when you can return.

Do not eat or drink anything that has been in contact with flood water and dispose of these items.  Electrical items that have been affected by flood water need to be checked by an electrician prior to use.

Your utilities may have been switched off for safety reasons. Do not switch on any utilities until we have checked that it is safe to turn your supplies back on.

Once it has been checked by an engineer, turn on your central heating to help with drying. We may be able to provide dehumidifiers to assist with drying out your home. We will cover the cost of dehumidifiers.

If you need to leave your home, do not return to your home until advised to do so.

Can I get help with cleaning and clearing damaged goods from my home?

Yes, we are working with a specialist company SPS to clean and clear properties affected by the recent flood damage.

What will SPS do?

SPS will work in partnership with you to carry out an initial clean of your home and to dispose of any damaged items.

SPS will move undamaged possessions and furniture to enable cleaning of your home. We will require you to sign a disclaimer to confirm that SPS will not be liable for any damage caused in this process.

SPS will remove and dispose of any damaged possessions and furniture in your home. We will require you to sign a disclaimer to confirm you agree for these goods to be disposed of.

I want to clear items from my property now.  Is there somewhere I can take them, or put them so they will be taken away and disposed of?

Information about refuse and waste sites operated by Leicestershire County Council can be found on their website. Further information about the collection of other damaged items will be available on our website in due course. 

We would advise you take photographs of all the items which are damaged before throwing these way for insurance purposes. Your insurance provider may ask for photographic evidence of the damage when you claim on your insurance.

How long will cleaning and clearing my home take?

Your home will be individually assessed, and you will be advised of how long the process is expected to take.

What do I need to do before the clean?

If possible, move any possessions into unaffected areas. If you are unable to move items, then SPS will assist with this process.

Do I need to be present during the clean/clear?

You are welcome to be present during the clean/clear process in your home and SPS are happy to work with you throughout.

Do I need to tell my insurance company you are cleaning my home?

Yes, it is a good idea to contact your insurance company – they may require steps to be followed before you can begin cleaning out the property. If your insurance company advises you not to move any items in your home prior to them making an assessment, please let us know.

I don’t have contents insurance, what assistance can I get with replacing my damaged furniture and fittings?

You may be able to get help with replacing essential household goods through local charities. Your Tenancy Support Officer can support you in this process.

You can contact SOFA, a registered local charity who sell furniture and electrical items at affordable prices.

Towles Building
Clarence Street
LE11 1DY
Tel: 01509 262 557

How long will it take for the damage to my home to be repaired?

Your home will need to be dried before any repairs can be carried out. 

How long will it take for my home to dry out?

The drying out time of a property depends upon its construction and the extent of water damage - you will be advised of how long this is expected to take.

Who is covering the cost of drying out my home?

The council will cover the cost of drying your home. We will take a meter reading prior to carrying out this work and share this information with you.

Will you cover the cost of kennels for my pet?

Yes, we will cover the cost. Kennels will require your pet to have the appropriate vaccinations in place. If your pet does not meet the kennel’s requirements, you will need to consider alternative accommodation for your pet. Some kennels may require you to make an initial payment up front which we will refund.

My mobility scooter has been affected by flood water, is it safe to use?

No. Do not use or charge your scooter until you have had this checked by the manufacturer.

Sign up to email alerts from the council

To stay in touch with Charnwood Borough Council news - including disruptions to services - sign up to our email alerts.

Last updated: Mon 8th January, 2024 @ 10:16