Following flooding in Charnwood due to Storm Henk, we have put together some frequently asked questions for residents in the borough who have been affected by the flooding.

Can the Council provide alternative accommodation?

If you need assistance with your housing situation because your home has been impacted by flooding, please contact our housing needs team on 01509 634567 or 0333 200 8811.

Can I get help with the disposal of damaged goods from my home?

Information about refuse and waste sites operated by Leicestershire County Council can be found on their website.  Further information about the collection of items will be available on our website in due course. 

We would advise you take photographs of all the items which are damaged before throwing these way for insurance purposes. Your insurance provider may ask for photographic evidence of the damage when you claim on your insurance.

I don’t have contents insurance, what assistance can I get with replacing my damaged furniture and fittings?

You may be able to get help with replacing essential household goods through local charities.

You can contact SOFA, a registered local charity who sell furniture and electrical items at affordable prices.

Towles Building
Clarence Street
LE11 1DY
Tel: 01509 262 557

How do I stay safe in my property and clean up and where can I get more information? 

Information and links to government guidance about cleaning up your property safely can be found on our website.

My home has been flooded and I’m worried I won’t be able to get insurance cover for flooding in the future

It is worth speaking to a number of insurers and checking what cover they can offer.

You could also check out Flood Re, a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. The aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable.

There is still lots of debris and silt on the road, will you be carrying out extra street cleaning in the areas affected?

Our partner Serco is continuing to carry out regular street cleaning in the areas of the borough affected by flooding. Please note this may take more than one visit to complete and get it back to the usual standard.

How can I prepare for flooding and protect my home in the future?

The National Flood Forum, is a charity set up to support those affected by flooding. They have a list of available flood protection products on their blue pages.

Where can I report the flooding to my home?

Leicestershire County Council is asking residents to report flooding to properties via their website using this online form. This is not to request a response to flooding but to record incidents across the county.

There is blocked drain on the highway outside my home, how do I report this?

If you want to report a blocked gully or drain in the road, please report this to Leicestershire County Council via their website.

Can I access help and support with accessing food following flooding to my home?

Information about food provision and support in Charnwood can be found on our Charnwood Community Action page on our website.

I’ve forgotten to order my prescription, can I get an emergency one?

Please contact your GP in the first instance who will be able to help you with urgent prescriptions. There is also an emergency prescription service by calling 111. It can be completed by yourself or by someone else. If you require antibiotics or controlled drugs, you will need to contact your GP. More information can be found on the NHS 111 website.

The flooding has impacted my mental health, how can I access emotional and wellbeing support?

Information about urgent and non-urgent mental health and wellbeing support can be found on our welfare, health and wellbeing page.

The British Red Cross offer a Support Line for people in times of crisis such as a flood. They can provide a listening ear, information and guidance on where to find the help you need. We also help people to find out what support services we provide and how to access them.

Calls are free from most landlines and mobile phones. You can call the support line if you need on: 0808 196 3651 

Lines are open 10am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 8pm Wednesday.

Last updated: Tue 16th January, 2024 @ 11:47