Below are some frequently asked questions for Ukrainians arriving in the UK. 

How long can I stay in the UK? Will the police send me back after 9 months?  

Guests come over on a 6 month visa.  As soon as they arrive they should apply for their BRP (biometric residence pass) this will allow them to stay in the UK for up to 3 years.

Can I drive a car? 

Yes, within the first year of arriving in the UK they can drive on their Ukrainian licence, as long as the vehicle is taxed, MOT’d and insured in the usual way. Within the 12 months they will need to book a UK test and pass this if they wish to continue driving. 

Do my children get free school meals?  

Free school meals can be applied for via the Leicestershire County Council websiteSchools often support with this. 

Can we rent a property?  

Yes. Guests can either apply to their borough council or alternatively can look for private rent. However, some guests have found this more difficult due to not having a guarantor. 

Can we get a job?  

Yes, their initial appointment with UC will also support them in seeking employment and they will be allocated a work coach.  Guests can contact recruitment agencies and apply for jobs in the same way. They will have needed to apply for their national insurance number when they first arrived and once they have this they can apply for jobs in the usual manner. 

How do we use public transport?  

There is a one-off payment of £65 which is paid onto the welcome payment card all the guests receive when they arrive. Also, Arriva are offering free three-month bus pass. Visit the Leicestershire County Council website for details.

Last updated: Fri 12th August, 2022 @ 09:09