Links to housing advice and support can be found below:

Housing advice and support

Private sector rent levels

It’s not illegal for landlords to raise their rent as high as they want to, but if their tenant feel that the increase is unreasonably high, they should immediately contact their landlord to try to negotiate a more affordable amount and this often works well.

If they haven’t been able to negotiate with their landlord, tenants can appeal to a rent tribunal for a determination and Citizens Advice can support with this. The rent then has to be set at the tribunal’s decision. Tenants have to apply to the tribunal before the date that the new rent is due, so they have to be quick.

Dealing with a rent increase – Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice have a webpage explaining conditions for an appeal to the rent tribunal and how to apply:

Challenging a rent increase – Citizens Advice

If you require a face-to-face appointment with Citizens Advice, one can be arranged in Loughborough, Shepshed or Syston by visiting the Citizens Advice Charnwood website.

The Bridge also provide help with tenancy issues and negotiation. Visit the Bridge website.

If the tenant still feels the rent set is unaffordable to them and the landlord doesn’t want to lower the amount. 

Tenants who are in receipt of benefits can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from housing benefits which can cover some if not all of the shortfall usually for six months to give some space for the tenant to find somewhere to live that’s more affordable.

Last updated: Wed 26th October, 2022 @ 15:47