The Council defines a hate incident as any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice on the grounds of:
- sexual orientation
- transgender identity
- any other perceived difference
Incidents and crimes are recorded against these five categories, as well as including a category for ‘any other perceived difference’ to align with Leicestershire Police’s recording of hate. Detailed below are the differences between hate incidents and crimes:
- Hate Incident - any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice.
- Hate Crime - any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice.
Types of hate incidents
Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland have produced a Hate Crime Strategy for tackling hate.
An incident may be physical, verbal or written and can take many forms including:
- Physical attack: such as physical assault, damage to property
- Threat of attack: abusive or obscene calls or letters
- Verbal abuse or insults
- Offensive leaflets and posters, hate mail, abusive gestures
- Dumping of rubbish outside homes
- Harassment, bullying or victimisation
For more detail on how we manage reports please take a look at the ASB Booklet below.
- Asb Booklet (PDF Document, 4.51 Mb)
Report a hate incident
You can report a hate incident involving yourself or someone else by contacting:
Tel: 0116 3058263
Website: https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/community-safety/hate-incidents (click on Hate Incident Report Form)
Alternatively you can speak to a member of the Community Safety Team at the Council Offices on Southfields Road, Loughborough, or visit any of the reporting centres featured on the same webpage as above.
For up to date information and advice, follow us on Twitter @SaferCharnwood
Interpretation and translation
For information on what support we offer, please visit our interpretation and translation webpage.
Last updated: Tue 23rd November, 2021 @ 16:56