Frequently asked questions about housing register applications are answered below.

Who can apply for social housing?

Details can be found on the Who can and cannot join the Housing Register webpage.

How and where do I apply? 

If you would like to join Charnwood Borough Council’s Housing Register, you will need to complete an online application form.

Applications can be made online at any time of the day or night using a computer, smartphone or a tablet if you have one. 

You will need to complete all sections of the form and provide proof of your circumstances. 

What if I don’t have a computer? 

Ask a family member or friend if you can use their computer, smartphone or tablet.  

Alternatively, many local libraries have computers available for public use that can be booked via the County Council website. We also have a number of computers in the Councils’ Main Reception area which are available for public use. Available between 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday.

Can someone else complete the application on my behalf? 

Yes, there is a section on the application which asks for the name of the person who assisted you to complete the application. 

What information do I need before I start my application? 

You will need to have an email address. You will need to know the National Insurance number for each person over the age of 16 in your household. In addition, you will need to know the last five years’ address history for each person in your household. 

What supporting documentation/proofs do I need? 

For guidance on proofs please see Housing Register Applications - Proofs Guidance.

Can I save and submit my application form without attaching proofs? 

Yes, but your application cannot be assessed until the proofs are supplied. 

You can either: 

  • upload these later. Photos can be taken of documents and uploaded to your application. Please ensure the photos are clear and show all the pages of the documents 
  • or bring your proofs in to the Council offices for us to photocopy and forward to the Allocations team. (An appointment may be needed for this dependant on the number of documents.) 

Can I scan and upload my proofs in the Council office myself? 

Unfortunately, self-scanning is not available at present.

I am an existing Council tenant and would like to apply for a transfer. Do I need to apply online? 

Yes. The same online form is used for all transfer and new housing register applications. 

How long do I have once I’ve started an online application? 

If the application is not fully completed within 28 days of commencement, it will be automatically deleted from the system.  

In order to complete the application, you need to complete the ‘Declaration’ section.  

Please note that you are able to complete your application form without the proofs attached and then upload these at a later date. If there are proofs missing, we will write to you to request these, the letter will give you 28 days to respond.  

We cannot assess applications without all the relevant proofs. 

Can I save the application midway through and then complete it later? 

You must complete your name, date of birth, National Insurance number and chose a security question in order to set up your online account. Once this is done you will be given a user ID and password which you can use to log back into your account. 

Once your online account is set up, you can start an application and save your progress after each section. 

Please note that if the application is not fully completed and submitted within 28 days then the application will be automatically deleted from the system.  

The ‘Declaration’ section must be completed to ensure the application is classed as complete. 

Once I have submitted an online application how long will it take for my application to be assessed? 

The Housing Allocations and Lettings Team aim to assess all completed applications within 10 working days.  

Please note that during busy periods, it may take longer for your application to be assessed.  

If proofs are missing from your application, you will need to provide these as soon as possible so that your application can be assessed. 

Please note that if the application is not fully completed and submitted within 28 days then the application will be automatically deleted from the system.

When will I know when my application has been assessed? 

Once your application has been assessed, we will write to you to inform you of the outcome of the assessment.  If further proofs need to be provided in order for an assessment to be carried out, we will write to you detailing the proofs needed. 

When will I be able to bid for properties? 

If you are accepted onto the register and are eligible to bid for properties, you will be able to bid as soon as the application has been assessed. 

For information on bidding, visit the Bidding for social housing – Frequently asked questions webpage.

How do I report a Change of Circumstances? 

You will have an online account which will enable you to log on and report any changes in circumstances. Depending on the type of change, you may need to supply proofs to confirm your new circumstances.  

These changes will then be assessed by our Housing Allocations and Lettings Team and you will be informed of the outcome. 

If you already have an account, you can update your application via the Home Connections website.

Update your application

For more details on how to submit a change of circumstances, please see the guide below:

Once you have updated your application, and supplied all the required supporting information and proofs, we aim to re-assess your application and notify of our decision within 10 working days.

Where can I find more information about the Housing Register? 

Housing Needs

Read our Housing Allocation Policy

Last updated: Mon 4th March, 2024 @ 17:14