All developments need planning permission, but in some cases that permission will be automatically granted – this is known as 'permitted development'. If permission is already granted you will not have to make an application for planning permission.

We have developed a set of self-assessment forms to help you work out whether you need to apply for permission. Further guidance for permitted development for householders is also set out below.

Please contact our development control team if you have any queries.

Restricted or removed permitted development rights

In some cases we may have restricted or removed permitted development rights for a particular area, building or piece of land. This is normally done to protect the character or the use of the area.

If the restrictions are for a particular building, they will be shown on the planning permission as a condition. If the restrictions are for an area, they will be in the form of what is called an Article 4 Direction.

Any restrictions we make will overrule the Permitted Development rights. If your project does not qualify as Permitted Development, or if Permitted Development rights have been removed, you will need to apply for planning permission.

Information and definitions relating to permitted development

The government has prepared a detailed Technical Guidance document for Householder Permitted Development which may help you.

Further guidance is also available on the Planning Portal website.

Some of the more frequently asked areas are summarised below:

  • Class E
    • Class E sets out the rules on Permitted Development for buildings etc within the curtilage of a house. The curtilage is the land which forms part and parcel with the house.
    • If any part of the proposed building is within 2m of the boundary then the maximum eaves height is 2.5m if it is to be Permitted Development.
    • If the building is more than 2m from the boundary there is a maximum height of 3m, or 4m if it has a dual-pitched roof.
  • Definition of principal elevation
    • In most cases the principal elevation will be that part of the house which fronts (directly or at an angle) the main highway serving the house and which usually contains the main entrance.
    • Usually the principal elevation will be what is understood to be the front of the house, but in a minority of cases there will have to be an assessment by the planning authority on a case by case basis as to what constitutes the principal elevation.
    • Development is not permitted under Class E where any part of the building etc would extend beyond a wall forming the principal elevation of the original house.
    • Where the principal elevation comprises more than one wall facing the main highway, all such walls will form part of the elevation, and the line for determining what constitutes 'extends beyond a wall' will follow these walls (please see Page 42 of 2016 DCLG guide for examples).
  • Original house
    • The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on July 1, 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.
  • What is a highway?

    • A highway includes all public roads, footpaths, bridleways and byways. It also includes unadopted streets or private ways.

Last updated: Wed 11th March, 2020 @ 17:00