You may be contacted by ‘no win – no fee’ companies or see their adverts on the television or social media.

They normally tell you that if you let them into your home they will help you claim compensation for any repairs that they find.

Please note: These companies are not approved by Charnwood Borough Council and will not have a Council ID card or any connection to the Council.

Most of these companies are trying to make money from landlords such as the Council, and often customers do not get any money.

If you have repairs in your home that need doing, please just let us know so that we can fix the problem. Our operatives will always show their Charnwood Borough Council ID when they come to your home. 

We realise that we don’t always get all repairs right first time, and if you are unhappy with our response to a repair we want to hear from you. Our complaints procedure is designed to put things right for customers and can be found at the link below:

Report feedback, make a compliment or make a complaint

You can also report housing disrepair directly to Ombudsman services via their website.

Last updated: Mon 12th June, 2023 @ 09:49